Saturday, April 14, 2007

I think I'm finally getting it...

Years ago...way back before I was even married...I read "A Return to Love" by Marianne Williamson. It was helpful to me back then and I never forgot the basic point of the book...God is Love. Yes I've heard the saying millions of times throughout my life, but when I read her book it really shed a new light on that saying. God is not this man up in the clouds watching every move I make and deciding if I am good or bad.

God is essentially that thing we call 'Love'.

God is parental love.

God is the love you feel for your spouse.

God is the love you have for your family and friends.

The joyful feeling that bursts out of your heart when you feel blissfully happy...maybe you just spent a few moments admiring a sunny beautiful day...maybe you just made your first sale from your new business...maybe you just heard a beautiful song on the radio...whatever it is that bring you joy...that's God.

That thing we call love...no matter who or what we are applying it to...that's God.

Fast forward to now...April 2007. This book sat in my basement for years and then I lent it to my sister to read. She had it for a while and recently gave it back to me. I decided to read it again to see how these basic principles apply to my current life.

It's incredible.

I appreciate this book even more than I did back in the early 90's. In the last 15 years we have been through so much...a marriage, 3 children, a new house, both of our dads have passed away, my husband lost his job, I started my business, my husband started his own business...wow!! Life has certainly changed for us! In looking back it seems unreal. But still I read this book and I 'get it'...even more than I did 15 years ago.

Here's one excerp from the book that I love and I want to share it...

"We're all assigned a piece of the garden, a corner of the universe that is ours to transform. Our corner of the universe is our own life--our relationships, our homes, our work, our current circumstances--exactly as they are."

That statement overwhelmed me when I read it. And I keep reading it over and over because it means so much to me. I really get it!! We are born into this world with a responsibility to take care of our little corner of the garden. We have a responsibility to be the best we can be. We all have been given some sort of gift or talent. You need to figure out what your gift is and then use it to make your corner of the world as beautiful as possible.

I feel like I'm doing this...I was blessed with a creative gift and I'm using that gift to make my life better...and it works. My business is growing and growing and getting better every day. When I started my business my ultimate goal was to be able to contribute to the betterment of my family. Guess what...it's happening. I know that I have a long way to go...life is a work in progress and it's always changing. You need to keep your focus and work at being the best you can be. Keep in mind that the work never ends. There's always something...you just have to hang in there and keep on being true to yourself and to your loved ones. Always focus on making your corner of the world as loving and peaceful and beautiful as possible!

When I come upon another enlightening statement from this book I will be sure to share it with you!

Until then...

Jane

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...