Thursday, April 26, 2012

"Excuse Me, Your Life Is Waiting!"

I just finished reading "Excuse Me, Your Life Is Waiting!" by Robert Boich.


The subtitle of the book is 'A Bridge from Addiction to Early Recovery' which caught my attention. Several years ago I read a book about an addict attempting to go through recovery and since then the subject has been very interesting to me. I'm not sure why, but I'll blame it on motherhood. I think since I've never had an addiction to drugs or alcohol I have a need to understand why and how this can happen. Perhaps I am simply hoping I can prevent it from happening to my own children.

Having read a few books over the years relating to addiction in adults as well as teens I understand and appreciate that it's very difficult to get clean and stay clean. Plus I've watched several TV shows where the subject matter focused on the addict prior to coming clean. Most of these books and TV shows leave me feeling somewhat disheartened. However, this book was a pleasant surprise for me more so than any I've read or TV show I've watched.

In "Excuse Me, Your Life Is Waiting!" , Mr. Boich takes you on his journey by sharing how he journaled his thoughts and learned to cope with his recovery.Through his writings you learn about the different tools he used to stay on the right track. I was expecting to hear him talk about how he got clean, but then fell of the wagon and got clean again and fell of the wagon once more.  But I'm happy to say that my expectations were way off. I found this book extremely helpful and uplifting for anyone even if you don't have to struggle with drug or alcohol addiction.

As his life is spinning out of control the author decides he wants to get clean but he mistakenly believes he can handle his sobriety on his own. Through his progression he learns that he can't do it alone and, through his writings you see his realization of this fact. Although it's a daily struggle you see that over time things unfold for him all for the better.

As I said I've never had an issue with drugs or alcohol, but there are many valuable lessons that the author learns and shares with the readers. His writings on honesty, gratitude, acceptance, humility and more are presented in a way that make you realize that all of us need to apply these practices to our own lives everyday. We all need to be honest with ourselves. We all need to show gratitude for all the little things in life not just the big things. We need to accept what life is giving us at any single moment. And his thoughts on humility were very profound for me. I always thought I understood what humility was, but I discovered an even deeper meaning through his writings.

While I'm confident that this book would be useful for someone going through recovery I also believe it is useful for anyone who wants to live a more honest, positive and fulfilling life!

Okay...on my way to do more work. More interesting things to share soon. Until then,


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...