Tuesday, October 21, 2008

It's NOT easy!!!

It's early in the morning, no one else is awake and I'm sitting here drinking my coffee, checking my email and just plain surfing.

I've noticed that anytime I'm surfing the web I end up gravitating toward websites that offer articles relating to WAHMs and starting a home business. This is a passion of mine and I love to hear what people have to offer. However, at this very moment I am extremely frustrated!! Am I just being hormonal??? Who knows??? Maybe!! But I'm frustrated none the less!

My frustration is due to the fact that I continually see a common thread in these articles...many of the authors focus solely on the issue of how wonderful it is to work from home. Yes, they are right...it is great to be able to work from home, be your own boss and be there for your family. HOWEVER...I think they also need to focus on the fact that "IT'S NOT EASY!!!"

Having your own business--whether from home or outside the home--is absolutely, positively not something for the faint of heart. Having your own business means you must be dedicated and persevere through the hardest of times. You must keep in the front of your mind that you WILL suffer through a series of hardships when you choose this path. It doesn't just happen...you must work it!

I won't list all of the hardships...maybe in another rant at another time.

For now I want to stress that you need to keep in mind that it will be hard and take lots of time.

For me one of the hardest things to handle is the negative comments that you get from people. Even your family members and closest friends will reject your ideas. People will tell you you're crazy...they'll constantly tell you (and everyone else) how worried they are about you. Others will gossip about how you are being irresponsible and not taking care of your family--especially if you were the bread winner in the previous years.

Believe me...I know this from personal experience.

You need to figure out what you love to do--yes. Then you need to hold onto the love and passion that you feel for your business idea and don't let it go. People will discourage you and try whatever they can to get you to 'come to your senses' and not be supportive. They will tell you you're just dreaming and this will never work for you.

Please understand that I am not saying any of this to be discourage you from following your dream!! I'm saying this because it's the reality of the situation. It takes dedication beyond words to build your business. It takes a huge leap of faith in yourself to try to create something out of nothing. It's scary. It takes courage:

"Courage is NOT the absence of FEAR...Courage means you feel the fear, but you forge ahead anyway."

And another quote about courage..."Courage is fear that has said it's prayers."

I started my home based business in 2001. Here it is 7 years later and I am finally making somewhat of a living at this. I have to admit that my situation was different because I was a stay at home mom with 3 young children and they were my main priority when I started out on this venture. My husband had a full time job that provided our income.

HOWEVER, due to good old 'corporate downsizing' he lost that job three years after I started my business so it certainly wasn't a bed of roses for me or us or anyone that's ever been in our position. It's possible that it won't take you as long as it took me, but I wouldn't count on it.

I'm not trying to scare anyone or be negative. I am just talking from experience and I just want you to understand that it's not all happy and wonderful and sweet. It takes time, sincere dedication, perseverance and a 'never say die' attitude.

I have been helping my husband 'grow' his business that he started just over 3 years ago. One thing that I see that I continually have to tell him is, "It takes time...don't get discouraged!" It takes a LONG TIME to really get a business moving let alone make a living from it!! You don't open your doors and have a line of people standing there waiting to get in. Just like in my situation....you don't launch your website and have 40 orders the first day. You need to promote your business and get your name out. I've heard it said that a customer has to see or hear your name AT LEAST 7 times before they will remember you or your business or what product or service you sell.

I will admit that I can't blame anyone for thinking it will be easy. When you surf these WAHM sites many of them bombard you with all of these articles and ads that say "You can do this!!! It's so wonderful and rewarding!!" But many of them conveniently leave out the fact that it's very difficult to build a business and then maintain it.

People think "If you build it they will come" because the Internet is filled with articles talking about all the glory...they rarely focus on the fact that you will also have to shed SERIOUS amounts of blood, sweat and tears to get to this glorious place. And once you reach this wonderful pinnacle of success then you have to shed even more blood, sweat and tears to keep yourself there. I'll say it again...it's not easy!

Please don't read this and then get discouraged. That's not my purpose. I just want those of you out there on this path to know that, yes, it's wonderful to have your own business and be your own boss, BUT it's also a very hard job! You will get discouraged and think about giving up. If you do feel that way give yourself time...that feeling may very well pass. On the other hand if things truly aren't working for you then maybe you should move on to something else.

Owning your own business and being your own boss is absolutely wonderful...but just know that IT'S NOT EASY!!

Just HAD to share that today!
Jane

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...