Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Are you standing in your own way?

Lately I've been dealing with this nagging issue...am I getting in my own way? I heard Terrence Howard, an actor who was nominated for an Academy Award, talk about this subject on Oprah a few weeks ago. She asked him what he believed he did differently with this movie that enabled him to receive a nomination for one of acting's highest awards? His response was "I got out of my own way."

I was absolutely blown away by that statement. I immediately grabbed a pen and wrote it down. Then I began the stewing process and let this thought sit in my mind for a few days.

I really contemplated this idea...am I getting in my own way? Is there something that I am doing that is holding me back from being better? Is there something that I am doing that is stopping me from reaching a higher pinnacle of success where my business is concerned?

I want so desperately for my business to grow...and it is. Every year it gets better and better. But I can't help but wonder if maybe there are things I am doing to stop myself or hold myself back from reaching an even higher level of success???

Here's one thing I've concluded -- as for 'WHAT' am I doing incorrectly or 'WHAT' am I not doing at all, well, I'm sure there are lots of things for this list and I could rattle off quite a few as I sit here.

But what nags at me much more than the 'whats' of this issue are the 'WHYS'. 'WHY' am I holding back? 'WHY' am I getting in my own way? Is there something I'm afraid of?

A few thoughts come to mind, but the one that resonates the loudest is my fear of getting so busy that I'd get overwhelmed and then loose sight of my goal of keeping my family my priority.

I truly think this is one of my biggest fears. I don't want to be so wrapped up in my business that I put my family second. A huge part of me believes I could handle it, but there's a part of me--the nervous worrying part of me--that fears the 'what ifs'. I think next I'll have to ponder those 'what ifs'...maybe playing them out in my mind would help me to see that I would be fine and I have nothing to fear.

For now, however, I accept the thought that, YES, I AM standing in my own way because I am so committed to being there for my children. I want to be the one that takes them to school...I want to be the one that picks them up after school...I want to be home with them if they get sick...and so on and so on...

I don't want to miss out on these simple moments that we all take for granted because childhood is fleeting. My oldest is now 11...he'll be 12 this summer. These years have flown by faster than I had ever imagined and I just want to stick to my goal of keeping my family first. They'll be grown before I know it and I want to be able to look back and know that I was there for them and that I did my best for them.

I'm sure there will be more on this subject once I figure things out...if I ever do!! MAN-O-MAN!!! Is this balancing act TOUGH or what!!

Hope you can enjoy your day despite the craziness that life throws at us!
Jane

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...