Wednesday, September 01, 2004

What would I do?

I had a bad headache the other day. I get headaches every now and again, but my husband has been going to school for Myofascial Trigger Point Therapy and has been able to help alleviate my headaches for the most part. But the other day I had a nagging headache that just wouldn't go away. When this happens I get discouraged (as do most people) and my mind tends to wonder. For a second I panicked and thought, "What if I find out I have an inoperable brain tumor and I only have 6 months to live?" So I explored that thought...really thought about it. What if? How would I live my remaining days?

First of all I'd cherish every second I could with my kids and my family. I'd forget about all the small and petty stuff that we all concern ourselves with constantly. But beyond that I thought about how I'd try to make a difference for others. What do I have to offer? The first thing that came to my mind was how happy I am building my own business and creating products with my God given talents. I decided that if I only had 6 months to live I would try to help others see that everyone has some gift or talent--EVERYONE!! I would help people to figure out what their gifts are. I'd show them that they can and should create their own destiny using their talents, abilitites and interests. Then I thought, "No one knows how long they'll be here...no one. So why am I waiting? Why not just do it now???" So here I am...offering help to anyone willing to listen.

Here's a quote from our beloved Oprah:

Use what you have to run toward your best - that's how I now live my life.
- Oprah Winfrey, O Magazine, August 2003

Search your soul and figure out what is is you wish you could do with your life. If you aren't able to come up with anything think about it this way...

What if you truly didn't have to worry about money? You somehow managed to have enough money to sustain yourself and your family for the rest of your lives. What would you do with your time? Now be serious...don't make a joke like, "Heck I'd travel the world!!" Maybe you would and maybe you could...but sooner or later you'd have to come home--physically and mentally. What would you do then? How would you spend your time? Gardening? Singing? Painting? Decorating? Building? Organizing? Helping children? Helping Senior citizens? Teaching? Really think hard about this and be completely honest with yourself.

Meanwhile here's another great quote from Oprah:

I've come to believe that each of us has a personal calling that's as unique as a fingerprint - and that the best way to succeed is to discover what you love and then find a way to offer it to others in the form of service, working hard, and also allowing the energy of the universe to lead you.
- Oprah Winfrey (1954 - ), O Magazine, September 2002

Keep track of all of your ideas. Be completely honest with yourself. Consider purchasing the book See You at the Top by Zig Ziglar. It is an incredible motivational book that I have been reading. It's absolutely amazing and you will not regret the investment!! It can be bought on Ebay for a couple of bucks so don't say you don't have the money! ;D

I'll be posting again very soon with more thoughts, ideas and advice!

Jane - A Painting Mom

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...