Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Alchemist...a fantastic read!

"The Alchemist" is a wonderful book by Paulo Coehlo. Taking the subtitle from the front of the book here's what it's about...

'The Alchemist is a Fable About Following Your Dream'

If you enjoy books with a spiritual theme...books that help you grow...books that help you figure out your purpose in the world...or if you are on any kind of spiritual journey at all...then you must read this book!!!

It's fabulous, fantastic and everything good! I can honestly say that it's got to be my favorite book of all time. I am reading it again for the second time. Since I know how it ends as I read it this time I'm trying like crazy to pay attention to the smallest details so I don't miss anything. Here are a couple excerpts that I read last night over and over again trying to get them deeply implanted in my head so I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER forget the words...

The first excerpt:

"The boy didn't know what a person's "Personal Legend" was.
[The old man said] "It's what you have always wanted to accomplish. Everyone, when they are young, knows what their Personal Legend is."



The second excerpt:

"...there is one great truth on this planet: whoever you are, or whatever it is that you do, when you really want something, it's because that desire originated in the soul of the universe. It's your mission on earth."

OMG!!! I just read and reread those words over and over.

I discovered my love of creating when I was a kid. Then in high school I realized that my 'dream' was simple...I wanted to create my own artwork and sell it. That's what I wanted. I just wanted to somehow build my own business and sell the things I created when I grew up. The only problem...I didn't have a clue how I'd do it...there was no such thing as the Internet back then so it wasn't as if I had that idea in my head. All I knew was that I wanted to create and sell...it's that simple.

When I finally 'grew up' (I was about 35 yrs old...snickering...yes it took me awhile) I decided to start my own business selling my artwork online. I can honestly say that, although it wasn't easy, so many opportunities opened up for me *immediately* and all along the way. I honestly felt as if some spiritual force was guiding me. And I STILL feel this spiritual guidance to this day.

So perhaps I discovered what my Personal Legend was long ago. It just took me years and years to finally listen to what the universe was trying to tell me.

I'll end on that note, but this book is so good so I'll probably have lots more to share as I continue to read it again.

I'll post my findings soon...until then,


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...