Sunday, April 24, 2005

Why?? What's the Payoff???

If you are a Dr. Phil fan very often you will hear him ask that question of his guests. Most of the time he asks that question when he's trying to help someone with a problem.

Today I asked myself that question while contemplating something positive in my life...my home business. Why do I keep on doing this when at times it can be too much? What's the payoff?

I have a number of responses for that question many of which are obvious and some are not:

1.) It is very fulfilling to be able to create something with my own 2 hands and have the customer compliment me on my work.

2.) It is fulfilling to be able to earn an income for my family utilizing my God given talents. Even though my income is very small at this point every little bit helps!! I've been working at this for 5 years now and each year my gross profits have increased.

3.) I feel that I am setting such a good example for my kids. I am not only 'talking the talk' I am 'walking the walk'. I am doing what I love. I am utilizing my talents and creating a life for myself and my family. My kids are seeing that if you want something badly enough you can achieve it through hard work and perserverence.

When my kids were very young every once in a while they would ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up. (So adorable!!) First I would laugh out loud and make a joke about it! Then I would answer them honestly by saying, "I want to be an artist." Well, here I am, all grown up and following my dream! Day by day, week by week, year by year I am building a business that I love and am passionate about! Through my example I am giving them a tremendous gift! Through my actions I am teaching them to utilize their gifts and follow their dreams!

4.) Many of my customers will order a portrait or hand painted name sign as a gift for a loved one. Some of them will let me know how well the item was received. It's wonderful to hear what the final receiver's reaction was to my work!

5.) Finally it's an even greater payoff to hear how good the gift giver felt by giving someone they love such a heartfelt gift! To site an example...

...My sister is a speech therapist and works in a local school district. The school year was coming to an end and, with the help of her students, she wanted to throw a little surprise party for her co-workers. She asked if I could help her by making personalized desk plaques for the other teachers. We talked about each teacher's personality and their individual interests and with those details I then created personalized plaques for them. After the party was over my sister called me to let me know how well received the plaques were. It was great to know the teachers loved them. But beyond that my sister was thrilled to be able to give such a heartfelt gift to people she admired and respected! For me to see my sister's reaction and to witness her joy was the ultimate payoff for me!

As you can see for me there are many payoffs, but the one that resonates the strongest in my heart is to know that, by way of my talents, I am helping someone give a truly thoughtful gift!

So what is your payoff for working hard? Do you work your fingers to the bone and at the end of the day feel good about what you do? Think about it and be honest with yourself. If you don't feel good about what you are doing then it's time to make a change. You only have one life to live so why not do all you can to make it a happy one!

I'll be writing more about this subject in just a bit!


See ya soon!
Jane

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...